The training was organized by the Secretariat of the Basel, Rotterdam and Stockholm Conventions in cooperation with the Regional Centre for the Basel and Stockholm Conventions based in Uruguay. The European Union kindly provided the funding for this training course.
Spanish was the working language of the workshop.
Objectives of the workshop
The objectives of this workshop were:
- Fostering participants’ understanding of the scope of the obligations to update and review their NIPs under article 7 of the Convention in light of POPs listed in 2009 and 2011;
- Increasing participants’ capacity to make an effective use of the guidance documents and other training tools when updating their NIPs, leading to increased capacity for sustained implementation of the Conventions;
- Strengthening the capacity of parties to develop effective strategies and action plans towards the elimination of POPs and enable them to meet their obligation under the Convention to transmit updated NIPs to the COP;
- Providing guidance to parties in evaluating effectiveness of activities undertaken as a result of implementation of the initial NIPs, to evaluate their impact and derive lessons learnt that can favour the development of more effective strategies for updating NIPs; and
- Enhancing understanding of the reporting obligations of the Parties to the Stockholm Conventions.
The training session targeted countries that have started the process of reviewing and updating their national implementation plans (NIPs) and brought together national officials from ten Spanish-speaking countries from Latin America: Argentina, Cuba, Colombia, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Panama and Venezuela . In addition, representatives of the Basel Convention Regional Centre for Central America and Mexico (BCRC-CAM) and the Basel Convention Regional Centre in Argentina (BCRC-Argentina) took part in the workshop.
Participants received training which combined presentations, practical exercises and working group discussions on procedural and substantive issues related to updating and reviewing NIPs under article 7 in light of the newly added POPs and the national reporting obligations under the Stockholm Convention. Participants also learned how the work undertaken in this regard could facilitate their reporting under Article 15 of the Stockholm Convention. Furthermore, participants benefited from a field visit to a state-of-the-art cement kiln and exchanged important information regarding standards, technical options and legislation.
Workshop report ( to be available later)