The Register of Acceptable Purposes for the persistent organic pollutants was amended pursuant to the decision SC - 4/17 of the fourth meeting of the Conference of the Parties, so as to include new acceptable purposes in Annex B of the Convention.
In principle, the amendments to Annexes A, B and C have entered into force on 26 August 2010. However, these amendments may not enter into force with respect to those Parties that: i) have submitted a notification pursuant to the provisions of paragraph 3(b) of Article 22 of the Convention or ii) have made declarations regarding the amendments to the Annexes in accordance with paragraph 4 of article 25 of the Convention.
The table below provides the list of acceptable purposes.
|Perfluorooctane sulfonic acid (CAS No: 1763-23-1), its saltsa and perfluorooctane sulfonyl fluoride
(CAS No: 307-35-7) 
a For example:
potassium perfluorooctane sulfonate
(CAS no. 2795-39-3);
lithium perfluorooctane sulfonate
(CAS no. 29457-72-5);
ammonium perfluorooctane sulfonate
(CAS no. 29081-56-9);
diethanolammonium perfluorooctane sulfonate
(CAS no. 70225-14-8);
tetraethylammonium perfluorooctane sulfonate
(CAS no. 56773-42-3);
didecyldimethylammonium perfluorooctane sulfonate
(CAS no. 251099-16-8).
||In accordance with part III of Annex B, production of other chemicals to be used solely for the uses below. Production for uses listed below.
In accordance with part III of Annex B for the following acceptable purposes, or as an intermediate in the production of chemicals with the following acceptable purposes:
- Photo imaging
- Photo resist and anti-reflective coatings for semi-conductors
- Etching agent for compound semi-conductors and ceramic filters
- Aviation hydraulic fluids
- Metal plating (hard metal plating) only in closed-loop systems
- Certain medical devices (such as ethylene tetrafluoroethylene copolymer (ETFE) layers and radio-opaque ETFE production, in vitro diagnostic medical devices, and CCD colour filters)
- Fire fighting foam
- Insect baits for control of leaf-cutting ants from Atta spp. and Acromyrmex spp.
 Please refer to the definitions as provided in Part III of Annex B of the Convention, for more information.