According to Article 17 of the Convention, the Conference of the Parties shall develop and approve procedures and institutional mechanisms for determining non-compliance with the provisions of the Convention and for the treatment of Parties found to be in non-compliance.
To prepare draft procedures on non-compliance for its consideration, the Conference of Parties established an ad hoc open-ended working group on non-compliance that met in April 2006 and April 2007. Further work on the issue was undertaken by the Conference of the Parties at its third, fourth, fifth. sixth and seventh meetings. At its seventh meeting, the Conference of the Parties adopted Decision SC-7/26 on Procedures and mechanisms on compliance with the Stockholm Convention, in which it:
1. Noted that the negotiations have not yielded a result and that the draft texts contained in the annex to the present decision are entirely bracketed;
2. Decided to consider further at its eighth meeting, for adoption, the procedures and mechanisms on compliance required under Article 17 of the Convention;
3. Invited the Bureau of the Conference of the Parties to facilitate intersessional consultations among all parties to promote a policy dialogue on outstanding issues with a view to resolving them in a way that facilitates the possible adoption of the procedures and institutional mechanisms required under Article 17 by the Conference of the Parties at its eighth meeting;
4. Decided that the draft texts contained in the annex to the present decision shall be the basis for its further work on the procedures and institutional mechanisms at its eighth meeting, bearing in mind that all issues remain outstanding;
5. Also decided that further work on the procedures and mechanisms on compliance with the Convention shall be placed early on the agenda at its eighth meeting.