Upon the request of the third and fourth meetings of the Conference of the Parties to the Stockholm Convention in their decisions SC-3/7 and SC-4/8 respectively, the Secretariat has initiated in cooperation with the Secretariat of the Basel Convention training and other capacity building activities to assist developing countries and countries with economies in transition in implementing the POPs waste guidelines. An electronic training tool on the POPs wastes guidelines has been developed. The training tool provides information on the technical guidelines on POPs wastes in a simple and interactive manner.
To further enhance the effectiveness of the training tool and to provide support to relevant personnel on PCBs and POPs waste issues, regional workshops will be organised by the Secretariat of the Stockholm Convention in 2009 and 2010. These workshops are joint training workshops on PCBs and POPs wastes and aim at assisting developing countries and countries with economies in transition in implementing the POPs waste guidelines.
For more information, please read the Programme for the Regional training workshops on PCBs and POPs wastes.
- Regional Capacity Building Workshop on the Environmentally Sound Management of POPs wastes and PCBs for Spanish-speaking countries in Central America and the Caribbean, Panama City, from 15 to 18 February 2011.
- Regional training workshop on PCBs and POPs wastes for French-speaking Africa, Bamako, Mali, from 8 to 11 March 2010.
- Regional workshop on the practical use of the BAT/BEP guidelines and the ESM of POPs wastes and PCBs for Arabic-speaking countries, Kuwait City, Kuwait, from 17 to 21 October 2010.
- Training workshop on PCBs and POPs wastes for the English-speaking Caribbean region in Kingston, Jamaica, from 2 to 5 February, 2009.
- Training workshop on PCBs and POPs wastes for the South American region in Lima, Peru, from 2 to 5 March, 2009.
- Training workshop on PCBs and POPs wastes for the English-speaking African region in Nairobi, Kenya from 15 to 19 June, 2009.
- Regional capacity building workshop on BAT/BEP and ESM of POPs wastes and PCBs for Asia, Beijing, China, from 16 to 20 November 2009.
- Regional training workshop on PCBs and POPs wastes for the Central and Eastern European region in Bratislava, Slovakia, from 1 to 4 December 2009.