Since 2006, Parties to the Basel, Rotterdam and Stockholm Conventions have supported the enhancement of synergies and linkages among the three multilateral environmental agreements in specific areas where common issues arise. In this regard, the Conferences of the Parties (COP) to the Basel, Rotterdam and Stockholm Conventions adopted a series of decisions that led in 2008-2009 to the adoption of a set of recommendations to promote cooperation and collaboration among the three conventions at the national, regional and international level, known as the "synergies decisions" (Basel Convention decision IX/10, Rotterdam Convention decision RC-4/11, Stockholm Convention decision SC-4/34). As part of the implementation of those recommendations, simultaneous extraordinary meetings of the Conferences of the Parties to the three Conventions (ex-COPs) were held in Bali, Indonesia from 22 to 23 February 2010, during which Omnibus decisions were taken to further consolidate the coordination and cooperation efforts by the three conventions.
This workshop is part of a series of regional Synergies workshops to be held in Asia, CEE, Central America and the Caribbean, French-speaking Africa, and the Middle East.
- Participants became aware of the process under way to further promote cooperation and coordination among the Basel, Rotterdam and Stockholm Conventions and its possible implications at the regional and national levels;
- Participants have a better understanding of the status of implementation of the Basel, Rotterdam and Stockholm Conventions in the region as well as the national priorities identified by Parties to fulfill their obligations;
- Participants shared information and experience on existing coordination mechanisms at national level as well as identify the areas where further coordination might be required;
- Participants are more familiar with the technical and financial opportunities to implement in a coordinated way the Basel, Rotterdam and Stockholm Conventions in the region;
- Participants received guidance in relation to resource mobilisation strategies for the implementation of the Basel, Rotterdam and Stockholm Conventions;
The awareness raising workshop targeted official contact points; including Basel Convention’s Focal Points, Rotterdam Convention’s Designated National Authorities and Stockholm Conventions’ Official Contact Points from the following countries: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Kazakhstan, Macedonia, Moldova, Poland, Romania, Serbia and Slovakia.