Paragraph 2 (b) of Article 3 of the Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants states:
“Each Party to the Convention takes measures to ensure that a chemical listed in Annex A for which any production or use specific exemption is in effect or a chemical listed in Annex B for which any production or use specific exemption or acceptable purpose is in effect, taking into account any relevant provisions in existing international prior informed consent instruments, is exported only:
- For the purpose of environmentally sound disposal as set forth in paragraph 1 (d) of Article 6;
- To a Party which is permitted to use that chemical under Annex A or Annex B; or
- To a State not Party to this Convention which has provided an annual certification to the exporting Party. Such certification shall specify the intended use of the chemical and include a statement that, with respect to that chemical, the importing State is committed to:
- Protect human health and the environment by taking the necessary measures to minimize or prevent releases;
- Comply with the provisions of paragraph 1 of Article 6; and
- Comply, where appropriate, with the provisions of paragraph 2 of Part II of Annex B.
The certification shall also include any appropriate supporting documentation, such as legislation, regulatory instruments, or administrative or policy guidelines. The exporting Party shall transmit the certification to the Secretariat within sixty days of receipt.”
At its fifth meeting, the Conference of the Parties requested the Secretariat to prepare a draft template for the certification pursuant to paragraph 2 (b) (iii) of Article 3 for use on an interim basis and for consideration by the Conference of the Parties at its sixth meeting (paragraph 6 of decision SC-5/10).
Accordingly, a draft template was prepared for use on an interim basis. If you have any comments on the draft template, please send a message to the Secretariat (Ms. Kei Ohno or Ms. Andrea Warmuth; e-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org).
|Draft template for the annual certification of intended use and commitment for the import of chemicals listed in annex A or annex B to the Stockholm Convention on persistent organic pollutants