At its sixth meeting taking place from 11 to 15 October 2010 in Geneva, the Persistent Organic Pollutants Review Committee discussed a revised draft risk profile and the proposed conclusions on short-chained chlorinated paraffins. The Committee was however unable to take a decision because of uncertainties in applying the criteria specified in Annex E to the Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants. It therefore established an intersessional working group:
- To discuss the application of the criteria specified in Annex E to short-chained chlorinated paraffins;
- To consider information from a proposed study by the intersessional working group on toxicological interactions on chlorinated paraffins, if the information was available;
- To revise the relevant parts of the draft risk profile intersessionally on the basis of the results of the activities mentioned in subparagraphs (a) and (b) above. The revised draft risk profile would be presented to the Committee at its eighth meeting for its consideration.
At its seventh meeting taking place from 10 to 14 October 2011 in Geneva, the Committee discussed the application of the criteria specified in Annex E to the Convention to short-chained chlorinated paraffins and considered the outcome of the case study on toxicological interactions of chlorinated paraffins. The Committee then agreed to establish an ad hoc working group to undertake the following activities:
- To revise the relevant parts of the draft risk profile to incorporate information on toxicological interactions of chlorinated paraffins for consideration by the Committee at its eighth meeting;
- To compile issues and principles to be applied in the interpretation of the Annex E criteria for consideration by the Committee at its eighth meeting.
The draft risk profile was revised accordingly to incorporate information on toxicological interactions of chlorinated paraffins.
The following documents were sent from the Secretariat to the Official Contact Points and National Focal Points:
Parties and observers are invited to review and provide technical comments on the revised draft risk profile for short-chained chlorinated paraffins to the Persistent Organic Pollutants Review Committee by 1 June 2012. Changes done to the previous version of the draft risk profile have been highlighted in yellow.
Submissions will be appreciated in electronic files by e-mail to:
email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Should this not be possible please forward hard copies to:
Secretariat of the Stockholm Convention
Att: POPs Review Committee
Ms. Andrea Warmuth
United Nations Environment Programme
11-13 chemin des Anémones
CH-1219, Chatelaine, Geneva, Switzerland
Fax: +41 (0) 22 917 8098
If you have any further questions regarding this invitation or if you would like to receive hard copies of the documents from the Persistent Organic Pollutants Review Committee, please do not hesitate to contact Ms. Andrea Warmuth (e-mail: email@example.com; telephone +41 22 917 8853).
View comments on the revised draft risk profile on short-chained chlorinated paraffins (SCCP)